Saturday 19 May 2012

Hello? Hello? Can anybody hear me? Is this thing even on?

1, 2, 1, 2 Testing testing 1, 2, 3...


So I've decided to make a foray into the world of blogging.  I'm slightly wondering if I am doing the right thing and even my husband asked "Why?" when I said that is what I was going to do.  Will anybody actually be interested in anything I have to say? Probably not, but I'll say it anyway and if anyone listens, then great and if no one does, at least I can pretend they are.


I'm 34 and a Stay At Home Mother to 4 children.  In a previous life I was a primary school teacher and before that I was a cytogeneticist. As a child I lived in various countries around the world with my parents and as an adult I continued to travel with my husband, although we're currently in the UK.  


The Eldest child is 5.  She has Aspergers and delights and dements me in equal measures. She is in school full time. The Boy (we have only the one) is 3 and is at preschool for 15 hours a week.  He is probably the one who drives me the most crackers, but he's also probably the most loving.  The Feral One is 2 and her nickname tells you most of what you need to know about her.  She is totally determined - so determined to be born that she arrived at home with only my husband to catch her and is equally determined to keep up with her older brother and sister.  Then there is The Baby - she is 6 months old and a very easy going soul - you have to be when you are the 4th baby in just over 5 years.  The Feral One and The Baby are at home with me full time.


Added to this we have 2 dogs, lurchers.  Their most favourite pastime, after chasing deer in the woods, is to creep up on to the sofa and pretend they are not there.  We also have 2 cats who have done a fair bit of travelling with us, living in both Italy and India.  Then there are the guinea pigs - named Goat and Wilbur by the Eldest (she has a talent for naming things) and finally the fish.  Oh, and I shouldn't forget the Husband who seems to spend most of his free time clearing up after me, both literally and metaphorically.


I don't think that I can classify my/our parenting into any particular style.  We do what works for us, taking the things that we find helpful and useful and discarding the others.  Common sense with a whole heap of love.


So this blog is really going to be a bit of a rag bag of things.  Some things parent-y, some things crafty, and, if we end up moving again, some things travel-y.  Who knows, someone might even read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment