Saturday 25 August 2012

Rainbow Rice!

I made Rainbow Rice this week which turned out to be incredibly simple to do and had a great end result.  I bought some cheap Basmati rice from the supermarket (I'm not sure that Basmati is necessarily the best, but it worked fine).  I then gathered together some food colouring, distilled vinegar (rubbing alcohol or surgical spirit is equally effective).


Into a glass jar, I put 1 and a half tablespoons of vinegar, some food colouring and a cup and a half of rice.  None of these measurements were exact!


I then gave it a really good shake.  Note to self, make sure that lid is properly attached to jar before shaking.  Here is The Boy giving it a good shake!


The I put the rice into a baking tray for drying.  This happens to be a Jamie Oliver enamel one, but you can just as easily just line a metal tray with foil.  I then put it into the oven for about 20 minutes at 150c to dry it out.


After it was dry and cool, I put it into a plastic box....


...with some plastic cups....


....and let the kids at it!


We soon decided that the plastic cups were not enough and I collected some of the play cutlery that we have - much more fun for scooping and scraping.


It kept the children entertained for a significant amount of time!


It was a definite success.  I am going to make more with different colours and I will also put it in a bigger box with more room!  I really enjoyed just playing with it myself, very therapeutic!

No comments:

Post a Comment